As many as a quarter have shoplifted

| Filed under: Ontario

As many as a quarter have shoplifted

Youngest, least educated, non-religious biggest offenders

TORONTO December 20th, 2014 – In a random sampling of public opinion taken by the Forum Poll™ among 1058 Ontarians 18 years of age and older, as many as one seventh admit outright to shoplifting in the past (15%), coupled with a similar proportion who prefer not to answer (12%), for a total of about one quarter (27%) who may be guilty of "boosting". Incidence of explicitly admitting to petty theft is especially common to the youngest (22%), mid income groups ($40K to $80K - 19%), eastern and southwestern Ontario (19% each), New Democrats (19%) and Greens (26%), the least educated (19%) and those who have no religious affiliations (26%).

Shoplifting, petty theft which is relatively easy to admit to, is a young person’s game, and that's a proxy for New Democrats, Greens and the non-religious," said Forum Research President, Dr. Lorne Bozinoff.

Lorne Bozinoff, Ph.D. is the president and founder of Forum Research. He can be reached at or at (416) 960-9603.